Before You Apply
Before you begin the application, please check your individual program to find admissions requirements and determine if you are eligible to apply by reviewing these detailed application instructions (PDF)
Find answers to many Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
All applicants must complete an online application. Your username is your full email address and you may create multiple applications under the same account. When you first create your application choose the program type, school, field of study, degree, concentration and term. If necessary, these may be changed by updating the application type. You will not be able to submit the application without all sections completed.
You must provide transcripts from all schools, colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as transfer credit from another transcript. Applications will not be reviewed until we've received all of your transcripts. You may initially submit unofficial transcripts however, accepted applicants are required to submit sealed official transcripts within 30 days following the start of their first semester.
Official transcripts should be sent to:
The George Washington University
College of Professional Studies Office of Admissions
44983 Knoll Square, Suite B56
Ashburn, VA 20147
We also accept transcripts electronically through third-party transcript services to [email protected]. Transcripts sent through these services must come directly from the transcript provider; they will be considered unofficial if forwarded.
Applicants who have attained a degree from outside the United States must submit a detailed, course-by-course evaluation showing all coursework, grades and proof of the degree earned from a NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) or AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluators) member organization. The evaluation must state the equivalency to a U.S. degree and GPA. If your transcripts or academic credentials are in a language other than English, a certified English language translation must be provided.
You are required to include your professional resume. Ensure your resume is current and includes all previous education and employment.
Statement of Purpose
You must also submit a 250-500 word essay on your purpose for applying to study at GW. Please describe your relevant qualifications and academic objectives and address the specific program you are applying to as well as any concentration, if applicable. This is an opportunity to expand upon or address anything not covered in the rest of your application.
You must submit two recommendation letters from professional and/or academic references, preferably one from a current supervisor. Recommendation letters must provide information addressing the applicant’s professional abilities, personal qualities, career potential and potential to be successful in the degree program.
You must list all recommenders in this section of the application. Once the application has been submitted, you may change or edit the recommender and his/her information, but you will not be able to add additional references. An email will be sent to each recommender to request their recommendation via the online portal. You may log into your portal at any time to check the status of your references or to send a reminder notification.
You are also required to submit a nonrefundable application fee of $80. Some applicants may have their fee waived:
GW alumni (those holding a GW degree or certificate)
Current GW degree or certificate students
Current AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or Teach for America members
Graduate from a minority serving institution
Current emergency first responders
Current law enforcement personnel
GW-CPS Info Session Attendee
Requesting an Application Fee Waiver for Meeting the Priority Application Deadline:
If you are interested in receiving an application fee waiver, please contact your program representative to request it BEFORE hitting the "Submit" button in the online application.
- Applicants interested in having the fee waived for meeting the Priority Deadline must have a complete application file and have sent the request to the program representative by 11:59 p.m. on the Priority Deadline.
- An application file is considered “complete” when academic transcripts, recommendations, test scores (if applicable) and the completed online application (including resume and statement of purpose) are filled out and/or uploaded into the application system.
- The Priority Deadlines vary by program and semester. Please check the program page for applicable dates, and/or reach out to the program representative for assistance.
- Previously submitted applications or applications with outstanding application materials are ineligible to request a waiver.
After Requesting an Application Fee Waiver:
- Wait for an email from the Admissions Office indicating your application fee has been waived and you can submit your application.
- Follow the instructions provided by the Admissions Office in submitting your complete application.
Note: Application fees are nonrefundable.
Additional Requirements for International Students
- International students are required to submit additional materials, such as English language test scores and transcript evaluations.