Financial Aid Opportunities



Our tuition and fees vary by program and location, generally increasing annually. You can find various aid or scholarship opportunities at GW to help you finance your education.




Applying for Financial Aid

On your application check "yes" to the question, "Do you plan to apply for US federal financial aid?" This will prompt the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) to send you the financial aid forms. You can contact OSFA for information about loan options and other available forms of financial aid at 202-994-6620 or [email protected].

You must be a US citizen, permanent resident or refugee to apply for need-based financial aid. The following are the financial aid application deadlines. 

""Graduate Student Financial Aid Application Deadlines

  • Fall: 
    • February 15th for FAFSA
    • May 15th for Federal Direct Graduate PLUS and private alternative loan applications
  • Spring: August 1st - All Loan Documents
  • Summer: December 1st - All Loan Documents|

Completing your application by these dates will ensure that your loan funds will arrive at the beginning of the requested semester(s) if all other disbursement requirements are met.

""Undergraduate (CPS) Student Financial Aid Application Deadlines

  • Fall: April 15
  • Spring: October 1
  • Summer: April 1

Completing your application by these dates will ensure that your loan funds will arrive at the beginning of the requested semester(s) if all other disbursement requirements are met.

Before beginning your application for financial aid, please watch this overview video about the undergraduate financial aid process.


Clock illustration

Half-Time/Full-Time Certification for Financial Aid (Graduate Students)

Certification for graduate student financial aid is based on the total number of credit hours for which you register in a given semester. Half-time status requires being registered for 5-8 credit hours, and full-time requires 9 credit hours or more. Complete the Certification Request Form (PDF) and send it to the College (not to the address indicated on the form) by either:

  • scanning and emailing the form
  • mailing the form to 1925 Ballenger Avenue, Suite 250, Alexandria, VA 22314, ATTN: CPS Student Services.  

If you have any questions about completing the form or about your status, please contact the Student Success Coach assigned to your program for assistance.



Illustration of a clock and coins

Applying for Loans

To apply for a Stafford or alternative educational loans to finance your education, please visit the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA). Students must be accepted degree or certificate students and enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester in order to qualify for loans.



Illustration of VA

Virginia State Grants

The Commonwealth of Virginia has two grant programs which students attending Virginia-based programs (VSTC, Arlington and Alexandria) may qualify for. More information about these programs, eligibility and application steps are available through OSFA.



Illustration of a pen and paper

Employment Opportunities

The Career Services Office provides comprehensive career planning support to students and alumni of all CPS programs*. To learn more about our services please contact Nicole Mintz at 202-994-7138 or [email protected].

*Students in the Graduate School of Political Management are served by Mag Gottlieb; please call 202-994-8782 or visit GSPM Career Services.



Illustration of a ribbon

Veteran’s Benefits

Information regarding veteran's education benefits may be obtained from the Office of Military and Veteran Student Services, Foggy Bottom Campus. Students should contact [email protected] or 202-994-2083 with questions. A signed certificate attesting to the student's status must be obtained from the appropriate dean's office and mailed with the registration schedule and statement at the time of payment. Those students who are veterans and requesting benefits must communicate their status to the Veterans Benefits Office, at least 30 days prior to course start date, in order to obtain an advance payment from the VA. Payment takes approximately 6-8 weeks.



illustration of hands shaking

Employer Assistance

Tuition benefits paid by employers are often overlooked. Many organizations will pay for all or part of your education if the classes you take will enhance your job performance or prepare you for a promotion.

The eligibility requirements vary depending on your employer. You should speak with your employer early to determine if your organization provides these benefits and how much of your tuition it will cover. Tuition benefits will reduce the amount of other aid you need, and make other financial aid easier to obtain.