Sustainable Urban Planning
A triple bottom-line approach to creating modern cities.
The George Washington University College of Professional Studies is an accelerator for career transformation in sustainable urban planning. Our master's and certificate programs will help expand your potential and explore the bigger impact you can have on our environment.
Ready to take the next step? Tell us a little about yourself.
What will you study?
Our sustainable urban planning program is comprehensive and nationally recognized.
Delve into topics such as:
Food and Cities
- Geospatial and Econometric Analysis
- Housing and Design
Transportation Planning in City Systems
Urban and Environmental Economics
The Sustainable Urban Planning Master’s Degree is accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board (PAB). This is a high academic standard that recognizes professional planning programs in North America on the basis of performance, integrity, and quality. Successful completion of this program may reduce the time required to become certified through the American Institute of Certified Planners.
The urban and environmental challenges created by humans will be solved by humans.
- Discover a Smarter Approach: Our triple bottom-line emphasis on urban planning encompasses the economic, social, and environmental aspects of sustainability, preparing you to tackle challenges from multiple perspectives.
- Get the Experts’ Insights: Learn from and collaborate with faculty based outside the George Washington University, in governmental, nongovernmental, and private sector agencies, ensuring you get an insider’s view of the field and what it takes to stand out.
- Connect to Opportunities: Our network consists of faculty, partners and alumni at organizations including The World Bank, UN Habitat, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, ICF International and many more.
- Make the City Your Classroom: We’ll help map your success by introducing you to planning apprenticeships and a school-to-work pipeline that can propel your career and impact.
Classes are forming now, with convenient hybrid options that fit your schedule and your career goals.