Alumni, students, faculty and friends gathered at the Dean’s Community Reception during Colonials Weekend this fall to hear an update on the College of Professional Studies (CPS), which includes the Graduate School of Political Management (GSPM), from Interim Dean Christopher J. Deering. He shared highlights on student and alumni achievements, as well as news about faculty and academic programs. He encouraged attendees to get involved with GW, CPS and GSPM in a way that is meaningful for you.
This year’s annual Colonials Weekend was held September 20-22 at GW’s main campus. The weekend was packed with unforgettable activities for alumni, families, students, and friends, including the dean’s receptions for each school.
Dr. Deering shared recent college highlights with the reception attendees.
Our Students: At CPS/GSPM our mission is to provide a preeminent education for non-traditional students. Our students are working professionals who seek advancement in their fields or for a career change.
- GSPM students have unique opportunities to learn about the political, economic and social dynamics of the world. This year they were on the ground in Hong Kong just before pro-democracy demonstrations engulfed the territory. Later this year, we have a group of student traveling to the United Kingdom, where they can view firsthand the immediate effects of Brexit.
- Our students also have access to high profile figures who come to campus each year, such as former Governor Howard Dean, Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie, Representatives Will Hurd and Deb Haaland and Ketchum CEO Barri Rafferty.
Our Faculty and Academic Programs:
- Faculty: GSPM and CPS students learn from our talented, diverse and accomplished faculty. Our professors are professional practitioners who continue to be leaders in their fields. They are advocates, innovators, leaders and above all, they are educators who care deeply about preparing out students for success inside and outside the classroom. GSPM faculty members are regularly called upon by major media outlets to share their knowledge and perspective on a host of topics, as well as conduct research with real world implications, like the PEORIA Project.
- The Sustainable Urban Planning program has earned professional accreditation by the Planning Accreditation Board after 3 years of very hard work by our program director and senior staff. Program Director John Carruthers was awarded this year’s GW Award for his contributions to the University.
- Homeland Security has been ranked as best online master’s in Homeland Security program by BestColleges.com for the second year running.
- Cybersecurity Strategy and Information Management master’s degree has been rated #3 among its peers by TheBestSchools.org, based upon its strength, reputation and content.
- We have successfully brought all of our (non-GSPM) online programs in house, including the paralegal, cybersecurity, homeland security, publishing and police and security studies programs.
There is much that our CPS and GSPM community of alumni, students and faculty should be proud of. This past year, CPS and GSPM graduated approximately 600 students with master’s degrees and bachelor’s degrees who went to work in Government, at law firms, think tanks, publishing houses and as public relations professionals. GSPM alumni continue to excel with 14 alumni serving as Congressional chiefs of staff, the most out of any GW school, and 11 alumni elected to public office last year.
“I encourage you to get involved with GW, CPS, and GSPM in a way that is meaningful to you. Some ideas are to be an ambassador for your program, mentor students, connect with fellow alumni at events, or give back through philanthropic support. Your involvement does make a difference,” said Dean Deering.