Zalmai (Zal) Azmi
- CEO Nexus Solutions LLC and Faculty Member, CSIM program
- [email protected]
Areas of Expertise
- National Security
- Law Enforcement
- Cyber Security
- Information Technology
Mr. Azmi is currently serving as the Chief Executive Officer and President for Nexus Solutions LLC. He offers more than 30 years of leadership experience and has demonstrated success in the development, program management, performance management, and organizational maturity of large business enterprises, among other disciplines. Nexus is dedicated to excellence in cybersecurity and Enterprise IT strategies as well as organizational transformation.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Azmi served for 25 years in a variety of leadership positions within DoD, Federal, and Intelligence agencies. In his last 10 years in the government he served as the CIO for United States Attorneys and the FBI where he established the CIO organizations, information assurance and cybersecurity programs, program management, portfolio and asset management capabilities and completely modernized the information technology infrastructures to support the mission.
Mr. Azmi was a member of the Intelligence Community, the DOJ CIO, and Five Eyes CIO Councils. He also traveled abroad to collaborate with Law Enforcement counterparts on related technology projects and capabilities.
Mr. Azmi is a Fellow, National Academy for Public Administration (NAPA), Co-Chair, Cyber Committee, Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association Emeritus, Member, Board of Directors, Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association Emeritus, Member, Intelligence Committee, Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association Emeritus, National Board Member, InfraGard – FBI’s Private Public Partnership Association – Emeritus, Member, Cyber Council, Intelligence and National Security Association (INSA), Member, IEEE, and several Advisory Boards.
- Master’s degree in Management Information Systems from George Washington University
- Executive Studies at Kellogg School of Management and Federal Executive Institute
- Certificate in Project Management from The George Washington University
- Instructor Certification from the United State Marine Corps
- Information Security Audit Manager (Non-Practicing) from ISAC
- Contributing author, Current and Emerging Trends in Cyber Operations
He was the recipient of the Presidential Rank of Distinguished Executive Award, Federal 100 Award, President G.W. Bush Award for Excellence in Counterterrorism Support, Arthur S. Flemming Award for Excellence in Applied Science and Technology, Department of Commerce, Bronze Medal, Twice, and numerous military medals, awards, and recognitions including the Armed Forces Humanitarian Service and Navy Achievement Medals.
- PSCS 6255: Information Management for Justice and Public Safety Professionals
- PSCS 6252: Applied Technology in Data Analytics