Areas of Expertise
- Information security
- Cyber defense & cyber strategic surprise
- Cyber conflict in outer space
- Confluence between cyber and information operations
- Military utility of cyber
- Cyber as an instrument to destabilize adversarial societies
Dr. Jan Kallberg is a Research Scientist at the Army Cyber Institute at West Point and an Assistant Professor in Political Science at the Department of Social Sciences at the United States Military Academy at West Point. He was earlier a researcher at Cyber Operations Lab, Cyber Security Research and Education Institute, The University of Texas at Dallas, an Assistant Professor at Arkansas Tech University, and has been part-time faculty at George Washington University since 2013.
Dr. Kallberg’s interest for cyber and cyber conflict started in the early 1990’s as a merger with his military experience and technical interest. His personal website is www.cyberdefense.com and – a domain name registered in 1997.
Dr. Kallberg firmly believes that cyber research is to seek the unknown and find ways to utilize cyber as a policy option. Dr. Kallberg’s interest for cyber and cyber conflict started in the early 1990s as a merger with his military experience and technical interest. His research interest is focused on the military application of cyber and how cyber and the digital development will impact societies, government and national security.
- Ph.D. in Public Affairs (Government), The University of Texas at Dallas
- M.A. in Political Science, The University of Texas at Dallas
- J.D./LL.M. from Stockholm University
He has been published in:
- Strategic Studies Quarterly;
- Joint Forces Quarterly;
- IEEE Access;
- IEEE Technology & Society;
- IEEE IT Professional; and
- IEEE Security & Privacy.
- CISSP certified #584765
- ISACA CISM certified #1839585
- PSCS 6244: Information Systems Protection