Areas of Expertise
David Vargas is President of VATG, Inc., an IT consulting and network integration firm that specializes in network installation, support, security, and training; strategic information systems and the development of training programs for technical and non-technical audiences. VATG includes among its many clients the U.S. Naval Air Warfare Center (NAVAIR); the American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA); The George Washington University; Northern Virginia Community College and Roll Call–the newspaper of Capitol Hill.
David combines a keen understanding of international business, having completed a bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, along with extensive experience in networking and Windows-specific solutions in an enterprise environment.
He has worked extensively in cybersecurity in both the public and private sectors and often shares his expertise at security conferences and professional meetings nationwide. David is also a professor of cybersecurity and networking at several local colleges and universities in the Washington, DC area.
- Modern data exfiltration techniques
- Social implications of the growing use of facial biometrics
- Security of voice-based assistants
- Malware distribution via exploit kits
- Use of cryptocurrencies in the conduct of cybercrime
- B.A., International Affairs, magna cum laude, The George Washington University
- M.S., Information Systems and Telecommunications, The Johns Hopkins University
Current Certifications Include
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- System Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- Navy Achievement Medal (NAM)
- IP Security and VPN Technologies (PSCS 3107)
- Network Security (PSCS 3109)
- Intrusion Detection and Vulnerability Management (PSCS 4102)
- Entrepreneurship/Tech Venture Creation (PSIS 4152)