Areas of Expertise
- Production and Design
- Printing and Print-Buying
- Vendor Management
- Mailing and Distribution
- Project Management
- Process Improvement and Strategic Planning
- Business Strategies, Financial Planning, and Budgetary Controls
- Marketing (Traditional, Digital, Product, and Content)
- Marketing Audience Segments
- Membership Programs and Strategies
Mike Kalyan has more than 25 years of experience in the publishing industry with a background in production, project management, marketing, and membership. He has worked on all types of products ranging from magazines and books, to newsletters and e-publishing, integrated marketing campaigns and membership recruitment/engagement/retention, and event collateral and digital products.
He currently serves as one of the Marketing Audience Segment Managers for the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), a large non-profit membership association in Alexandria, VA that seeks to provide materials for human resource professionals to create better work environments so employers and employees can thrive together. He creates and oversees marketing campaigns geared towards creating awareness of the brand and promoting membership with the organization.
At ASCD (an education non-profit membership and publishing association), he served as the Senior Director of Membership and the former Director of Production Services, where he ran the membership department, and oversaw the production and development of the Association’s programs, products, services, and member benefits, including project management and scheduling, print and service buying, vendor management and quality control, and mailing and fulfillment.
Additionally, he established and led the Project Guidance Team that oversees ASCD’s Idea Factory, which evaluates new ideas submitted by staff and takes them through the process of turning those ideas into finished products through building consensus of stakeholders and creating final business plans.
Kalyan started his career as a production assistant with Government Computer News, a government technology magazine, and later went on to work for Hanley Wood LLC as a production manager of Big Builder and Multifamily Executive magazines, in addition to being the primary magazine advertising insert estimator for all of Hanley Wood’s magazine portfolio.
He left Hanley Wood to work at Washington City Paper as its Production Director, where he managed the weekly newspaper and advertising production process, along with collaborating in marketing City Paper’s many events and sponsorship activities. Kalyan also implemented new production, design and editing workflows and publishing technologies to reduce staff time on the weekly newspaper deadlines to transition additional resources to the website, online advertising, and sales and marketing materials.
Kalyan is also the co-owner and founder of The Escape Room Guys, a business that runs an escape room and news blog, promotes content through social media channels, and does consulting for escape room companies and corporations in the design and creation of escape rooms for entertainment and training on communication and team building. He also serves as ERG’s Chief Marketing Officer.
- Master of Professional Studies in Publishing, specializing in Marketing, Design/Production & E-Publishing, The George Washington University
- Bachelor of Arts in Print Journalism, with minors in Justice and in Literature, American University, Washington, D.C.
- Digital Marketing Bootcamp, The George Washington University & Trilogy Education Services
- Former Certified Scrum Master from the Scrum Alliance
- Certified Mail Design Professional, United States Postal Service
- Member, Direct Marketing Association of Washington (DMAW)
- Member, American Marketing Association (AMA)
- Member, American Society of Association Executives (ASAE)
- Production Management