Working in an industry that is 79% to 91% white, most Black, Indigenous, and People of Color will experience racism at some point in their publishing careers. It is critical that we disrupt and dismantle the structures particular to publishing that have created the status quo. The speakers at this webinar will discuss the importance of bystander intervention, actions to accelerate progress, ways to support bias-affected individuals, and what it will take to make scholarly publishing a more equitable and inclusive industry.
Please see the “Antiracism Toolkit for Allies,” by Niccole Coggins, Jocelyn Dawson, Melanie Dolechek, and Gisela Fosado, 2020.
- Jocelyn Dawson, Journals Marketing Manager, Duke University Press
- Damita Snow, Senior Manager, Publishing Technologies, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Randy Townsend, Director of Publishing Operations, American Geophysical Union
- Program Director, John Warren and CPS Career Services Director Nicole Mintz
- Jocelyn Dawson is the Journals Marketing Manager for Duke University Press, where she leads the marketing team in the promotion of almost sixty journals and over a dozen electronic collections. She has served on committees of the Association of University Presses and the Society for Scholarly Publishing and is a previous member of the SSP’s Board of Directors. She plays an active role in equity and inclusion efforts at Duke University Press and co-leads the cross-organizational Toolkits of Equity project to develop antiracism guides for scholarly publishing.
- Damita Snow serves as the senior manager for publishing technologies at the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) where she manages the publications content of the corporate website as well as the Society’s online library of publications, ASCE Library. She is also in charge of all aspects of maintaining the user interface of ASCE Library and serves on ASCE’s Communications, Cooperation, and Culture Committee. She is also the chair of ASCE’s Staff Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Council, a group that she founded and developed within ASCE. She co-chairs the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee of the Society for Scholarly Publishing. Snow also serves on the Education Committee and is an EXCEL awards judge for Association, Media and Publishing. She co-chairs the Publications Special Interest Group for Council of Engineering and Scientific Society Executives and is a past Annual Meeting Committee member. Currently, she is also a Gold Circle Awards judge and member of the Artificial Intelligence Ethics Committee for the American Society of Association Executives.
- Randy Townsend, MPS, has worked for the American Geophysical Union for more than 14 years. His career focuses on the execution of the Publications Department's strategic goals, and the performance and development of an expanding portfolio of scholarly journals, requiring oversight of peer review operations and content integrity. He has been a leader in policy implementation and manages allegations of misconduct and ethical violations. Randy served as a judge for the EXCEL Awards and is on the Advisory Board for the Association Media & Publishing. He is a member of the Council of Science Editors, the International Society of Managing and Technical Editor’s (ISMTE) Programming Committee and serves as Co-Chair on the Society of Scholarly Publishing's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee. Pronouns: He, Him, His