Norman Robert Hayes
Areas of Expertise
- Over 30 years experience in strategic through tactical intelligence analysis and operational intelligence execution across a broad range of national and international real world and policy issues with focus on theater, cyber and maritime operations.
- An experienced international, national and regional strategist, integrator and analyst at the highest levels of U.S national and international agencies, forums and organizations with exceptional skills in building trust across international teams, articulating a common vision and with inspirational leadership in building exacting execution models achieving successful outcomes.
Norman Robert Hayes, Rear Admiral, United States Navy (Ret.), is currently serving as Professor for the Master’s degree Cybersecurity Studies program in the College of Professional Studies, George Washington University and CEO, Deep Futures Consulting, LLC. He has also been selected as the 2018-2019 Robert Morris University President’s Leadership Fellow.
As the former Executive Vice President for Cybersecurity and Intelligence for two Alexandria, Virginia based companies, he had responsibility for contract management, business development, development of IT security software and partnership growth strategies. He also served with distinction for three years as President of the Naval Intelligence Professionals Charitable Foundation.
Before retiring in 2013 following a 31-year in Naval Intelligence which culminated in achieving the rank of Rear Admiral, he served as the first Naval Intelligence officer to be Director of Intelligence (ECJ2), United States European Command. His efforts resulted in an expansion of permanent military-to-military intelligence cooperation with NATO and non-NATO nations that was heretofore unprecedented in scope. His initial Admiral tour was at the National Security Agency, Director, National Security Operations Center (NSOC).
While Director, he led the team which significantly updated the roles and functions of NSOC to create an organization that gained significant personnel efficiencies and operational focus. He additionally served as a senior member of the executive council in the formation of the United States Cyber Command.
Other highlights of his career include Commanding Officer, Navy and Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center and Commanding Officer Center for Naval Intelligence, Director of Intelligence (CJ2), Combined Forces Command – Afghanistan, Executive Assistant to Director of Naval Intelligence, and Assistant Chief of Staff, Intelligence, Commander Seventh Fleet.
- M.A., Strategic Military Operations, Intelligence Support to Peacekeeping Operations, Marine Corps Command and Staff
- B.S., Indiana University, Bloomington
- Introduction to Cyber Conflict